Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Default Sony A200 options help

I was wandering through my settings, and tt would be great if someone could tell me what these are and what I should set them to:

D-range Opitimizer- off/standard/advanced
Flash control - ADI/Pre-flash TTL
Autofocus mode - Single/automatic/continuous

It there a disadvantage of setting my camera to continuous rather than single shot? I like firing in bursts, but does it give me lower quality?

My main interest is in the "creative style" modes. It says I can control contrast, saturation, and sharpness. Wouldn't I automatically want the sharpness maxed out (for most things at least). I personally like Vivid mode with max sharpness, and +1 contrast and saturation. Just don't want to compromise anything else. Also, what's AdobeRGB?

mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:57 PM   #2

It's comes down to personal preference but here's what I usually set my cameras to.

D-range optimizer-- off

Flash control-- ADI

Auto focus mode-- depends, still objects or slow moving objects, single. Slow to fast moving objects, auto. Fast moving objects, continuous. Realize shooting continuous you should expect to have some missed shots.

As for the creative style modes they can work great when everything is just right. Because there usually not I shoot in standard, 0 contrast, 0 saturation and + sharpness then process all photo's to get desired look by adjusting contrast and saturation in either Apple Aperture or Photoshop Elements.

Adobe RGB expands the color gamut (more color variables), but you have to have all your hardware set to Adobe RGB to get prints that look right. I just stick to sRGB and keep it simple.
Canon S95
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:22 AM   #3

Thanks! Very helpful!
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote