Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:50 AM   #1
Default Long term Sony reliability?

Since my camera's SSS failed (thankfully the sensor is still aligned) I've looked into this, and it seems like it is more widespread then just a few hundred cases.
Just a quick google reveals several of examples of people with broken stabilization, or with the "black frame" issue. (like here)

So, are there any issues like this with entry Canikon cameras? Because this puts me a step closer to switching brands, and knowing that problems like this (which is more common than the odd shutter failure etc) happens to Canikon people too would help a lot.

The other thing that bugs me is that, although I think SSS breaking is limited to early Sony cameras (a100-a200-a300), that does not seem to be the case with the black frame issue (a500 and a550 are included).

So is this not really a big deal and I am just paranoid because this has happened to me? Or would this be like iPhone 4's "Antennagate" if Sony had actually sold tons of these?
my photography

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:30 PM   #2

I had the black frame issue with my A550, sent it in to be repaired, havnt even had it a year, yet Ive had absolutely no probs with my A100 that ive had for ages, its still running strong
bella is offline   Reply With Quote