Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:06 PM   #1
Default Electronic View finders [EVF]- pros and cons?

I've been using a sony a55 for a couple of weeks now. Initially I was thrilled with the brightness of the EVF and mostly I still am.

I've discovered that the brightness is a little misleading in low light though. A number of photos I've taken in marginal light situations have seemed well exposed through the EVF but been underexposed on the computer monitor.

I'm just wondering if this is a general characteristic or something to do with this camera or with me?

Incidentally as someone just catching up with the last few years of digital camera advances its immpressive to see just how well the camera does perform in low light using iso 1600 setting. Grainy to be sure, but useable.

Are there any other featurs or drawbacks of EVFs to be aware of? I do like how it changes the apparent light as you move the aperture. Unless Im missing it the HUD doesn't show the ISO which is a nuisance.
ozboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links