Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:52 PM   #1
Default Lens help for upgrading from Kit Lens

Hi all.

I have a couple of questions about upgrading from my kit lens.I have a Sony A500 btw.

I want to buy a Macro lens and a zoom lens.
My questions are.
A) Should I buy a dedicated Macro lens like this
or a Zoom type Macro lens like this?

B) I want to buy a super zoom aswell and am looking at lenses like this

Can anyone offer me any other advice,I would like to keep within a budget of around 800euro which is about $1000.

So to sum it all up,I want a Macro and a Zoom,and would it be worth getting a Macro/Zoom Combo and then a long range zoom or a dedicated Macro and a wide angle to long range zoom lens.

Was also looking at a fisheye! what ye think of this one

I have a bit of money to spare at the moment so I really want to get a complete range while I can but as I'm not a pro photographer I really just need top quality but budget friendly gear.
Sorry lads I'm starting to ramble a bit now,I think ye know what I want/need at this stage,I hope someone can guide me in the right direction

casey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:20 PM   #2

None of my links seem to work so ignore them!
But the questions still remain the same
casey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:13 PM   #3

Your first link was for a sony 30mm macro

second sigma short zoom

i think you might be surprised to find out that neither the sigma nor your sony kit (if it's the 1855) are true macros. a quick read around seems to indicate that both are in the 1:3 or 1:4 range. i don't know much about macro so i won't guess any more. also, the sigma doesn't really come with is or hsm in sony alpha mount. i have it (canada).

edit: my links work. those pesky ... cause trouble.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:12 PM   #4

Keep in mind with a 30mm macro lens you have to be very close to the subject. Most folks like the stand back room provided by a 100mm or 105mm lens.

Sigma does make an 18-125mm lens which is quite reasonable, and has pretty good optics.

Here is a sample photo from that Sigma lens:

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:22 AM   #5

Check out some of the Minolta lenses. You can pick up a lot of them for very reasonable prices, and they have great macro lenses.

I agree that while the 30mm is a great lens, you will have to be very close which can be limiting. Something in the 100mm+ range would be much more versatile.

Good luck!
ColoradoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:57 AM   #6

Hey Casey. Welcome to the forums.

You posted this in the Sony forum in our "Point and Shoot" section. So, some of our Sony dSLR owners probably didn't see this thread.

I'll move this thread down to our Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum for you (the forum setup for Sony dSLR models like your A500, where you'll probably see more responses).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:48 AM   #7

As mtclimber has said, a 30mm macro lens requires you to be awfully close to your subject. That will probably cause you to block much of your own light and to frighten away animate subjects. A longer macro lens might be a better choice for actual macrophotography (with a 1:1 magnification ratio.) In all other respects that lens is very good, but in that range, the Sony 35mm f/1.8 costs the same, it's faster, and it'll do 1:4 macro, which is about where the 30/2.8 macro becomes practical anyway.

The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 is an optically stabilized lens, and it's more expensive and not as good as the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 which isn't stabilized, and has a magnification ratio of 1:2.3 (compared to 1:2.7 for the stabilized version.) So you might be able to do all the macro work you wany with this zoom lens. And since your Sony dSLR is already stabilized, you don't need another stabilization system in the lens.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote