Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:03 PM   #11

Originally Posted by TCav View Post
True, but with a wider angle of view, you need to get closer in order to get a similar composition of a nearby subject, which as a consequence, increases the perspective distortion.
With the 35mm f/1.8, you'd have the same angle of view as you'd have using a 53mm lens on a 35mm camera. So, perspective distortion shouldn't be an issue (any more than it would be using a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera, since focus distance would be about the same given if your subject occupied the same percentage of the frame). IOW, that's a "Normal" focal length lens given angle of view differences you'd have with the smaller APS-C size sensor. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:40 AM   #12

[QUOTE=shoturtle;1189730]Yes it the raynox 250 can be used it it is the right thread size, or if it is larger then the lens used it with a step up ring.

But the raynox is not that great on a dslr or larger sensor camera. /QUOTE]

I too was looking at the Raynox but for the price found it better to buy a used Sony SAL1118 11-18mm DT lense on eBay. The best price I could find on a 62mm Raynox was around US$170. I paid $360 for a used SAL1118 which is more than double the Raynox but then you get what you pay for. I already owned a Sony a55 body (US$750 new) along with a SAL18250 18-250mm lens ($410 on eBay used) and am very happy with the trade-off of quality, weight and price when compared to the other options. Weight, image quality and portability were paramount to me while price was secondary but still very important. Wish I had the image quality of the G-Series or Leica lens but definately do not want the bulk or weight. Oh well, can't have everything!
WorldSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:01 PM   #13

Yes, that is why I took a canon 500D close up lens with me for my holiday vs my macro lens for my m4/3 camera. it is way smaller package. The 58mm with a step up ring was a 70 dollar setup.

The 72 with the step up ring is a 130 dollar setup. It is cost vs performance. The nikon, olympus and canon conversion lenses are a bit higher quality as they do design with higher end glass.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:09 PM   #14

For a cheap portrait lens, a Minolta 50mm F1.7 may be a better way to go. You can get them from Ebay for about $80USD. That was how much I paid for mine.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote