Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:51 PM   #1
Default March Madness

March is a magical month of change and SIGMA jumped right into it with the release of the upgraded AF 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom.

This 5-lb baby now fits on either the Pentax or SONY mounts (the earlier design did not have these mounts, it was only SIGMA, Canon or Nikon)... bringing along the joy of lens-born-image stabilization, too. So you actually have a choice, but I would go with the lens doing the heavy lifting, considering it was precisely designed to do so for this device and the Camera's SSS is rather generic.

Regardless ... imagine the light solution you will now have at the kid's night football games or indoor scholastic events. Now, when they give you the high-sign from the gynastic vault ... YOU are ready with something does not make you look like you were standing in another country when you shot it.

Yep, the price tag is right where you would think it would be, for this light gobbler ... $3200 street. If there is one indoor telephoto you need, after the 24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 ... I would have to say ... "thar she blows."

Thank you, SIGMA, for giving us an addition we simply would not see from SONY. "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"
Don Schap
The right gear, right now! Quit stalling.
Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Mar 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM.
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:03 AM   #2

Has anyone reviewed this lens on the Sony?

If you have a lens with OS on a body with internal OS which one should be used?

B&H has it listed at $3,199 but shows it a new item with no arrival date.

I am definitely interested as I currently have two Sigma APO lenses (50-150 and 70-200) along with a 1.4 tc so this lens would seem to be the logical progression for someone wanting the focal length.

DYXUM shows the lens in the database but there have been no reviews to date. Sigma does warn of an issue when using some lenses with the A33 or A55 but this seems to be with their previous production.

The notice can be read here:

Several individuals here have this lens in other mounts and use them to great effect so we should be able to expect this lens to carry the same quality over to our Alpha mount systems. (I hope)

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Mar 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM. Reason: cannot spell
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote