Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:09 AM   #11

Unfortunately the guy I was planning to buy his camera has sold the camera.

Now I'm completely confused.

I've got 4 options ( 2 of them are point and shoot and 2 of them are d-slr)

1. FujiFilm Finepix HS20EXR ( 300 euros )

2. Sony HX100V ( 400 euros )

3. Nikon D3100 18-55 af-s dx vr ( 500 euro )

4. Sony A33 18-55 ( 500 euro ).

As I told before, I'm not a professional photographer. All I want to do is take photos/videos of my son. (Indoors, on trips, on parks and etc.) Also I would like to take nature photos with vivid colors (very clear photos) and sometimes HDR.

Video is somehow important I would like to have some cool videos of the concerts or social activities I go.

What do you advice?
devotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:37 AM   #12

If these are used cameras, I suggest that you stay away from used dSLRs. You don't know how much use and abuse they've been subjected to, and dSLRs are more suseptible to damage than P&S.

Also, while dSLRs tend to be better at taking indoor shots, the kit lenses they come with aren't. You'll need either an external flash, or a fast standard zoom instead of the kit lens. Whichever way you go, that will greatly increase the cost.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:40 AM   #13

All of them are new and I'm not thinking to upgrade the lenses.

So which one do you suggest, (HS20exr 's price is pretty nice but don't know if it is so much worst then the others)
devotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:01 PM   #14

[QUOTE=JimC;1250072]Yea.. but, the buffer in the A55 is several times as large. So, for action shooting I'd hate to be limited to a 6 frame buffer shooting raw (when you get 18 or 19 frames shooting raw before a slowdown with the A55, plus with the A55 you get a faster max frame rate with AF without resorting to a smaller image size, as well as a fast Speed Prority mode without AF if you want to use it. You also get a GPS with the A55.

That's a nice catch on the buffer difference. I'm going to look into that and see what the practical difference is in my use. I'm a fairly new a55 user and haven't even used the burst that much. What a great little camera it is.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote