Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:03 AM   #1
Default I have a spec of dirt/dust inside my Sigma lens, what to do?

So I was cleaning the glass of my filter and lens and I noticed a spec of dust that I originally thought was on the exterior glass of my lens. Well sure enough it is underneath it and I have no way of getting to it.

I have not compared photo's yet to see if I can actually see it in the photo's but it is annoying the crap out of me. My lens is several years old but has less than 3000 shots on it and and I have always been extremely carefull when changing the lens and covering the rear with the cap as soon as it is taken off of the camera.

I could be wrong but I remember that spot always being there, I can't say it was there when I got the lens but it has been there a while. Is it possible I missed it when I first inspected it, maybe.

Is it that easy to get dirt inside the lens like that if you are careful? I never used the camera on the beach or in an area that was very dusty, like a dirt road.

What are my options if it does cause a spot on my images? Can I have Sigma clean/fix it and what would the cost be?

Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:13 AM   #2

If the lens is a zoom lens, dust can get drawn in when being zoomed. While it is annoying, such occurrences are generally not a problem. Here's an interesting link regarding internal dust.

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:38 PM   #3

G'day R 01

Don't worry about it - a single / few tiny dust flakes inside the lens will not impair the lens operation or image quality at all

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Here's a great article about "dirty lenses"

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote