Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:12 AM   #1
Default Minolta AF 35-70 versus Konica Minolta D5 Kit lens

Hi Folks,

I just bought a 2nd hand old Konica Minolta D5. in the ebay listing it stated it was supposed to come with a 18-70mm Minolta lens, presumably the kit one that the camera was launched with and that I read the reviews for.

Instead it came with a Minolta AF 35-70mm lens. I think it is reviewed here: http://kurtmunger.com/minolta_af_35_...viewid180.html, and seems to be relatively good if very old.

I am a complete beginner to the whole SLR world so really have no idea what I am doing.

My question to the massed experts on this forum is:

Is the lens I got considerably less good than kit lens I was supposed to get? Especially taking into account the fact I am a beginner and will most likely be using one general lens for sometime.

I am trying to discern if I should be bothered going back to the seller. If the one I have been sent is roughly similar I dont think there is any point complaining or anything.

Many thanks!
bigchiefally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:57 AM   #2

The 35-70 focal length means you've got no wide-angle capability at all. Since this is your only lens, you'll probably find that to be a handicap.

On the other hand, either of the Minolta 35-70 lenses (Yes, there were two.) is better than the 18-70 where their ranges overlap. They are also slightly faster.

As an all purpose lens, the 18-70 is a better choice for someone just starting out, but if you know what you want, and don't need the wide angle capabilities you don't have now, then either of the 35-70 lenses isn't a bad choice.

Since you bought your KM5D used, my guessis that you probably want as much flexibility and capability as you can get for as little money as you can get away with. In you're position, I'd ask for either the 18-70 or my money back.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:30 AM   #3

Thanks TCav, I have mentioned this to the seller. I will see what happens.
bigchiefally is offline   Reply With Quote