Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Default Sony A580 and Tamron 17-50mm Problem

I recently started to expierience a problem with my camera losing contact with the lens all of a sudden during use. I will be taking a series of pictures and the next thing I know the lens has stopped working, I get a error message from the camera saying "Check lens attachment. If the lens is not supported, you can permit use of the lens in the custom menu." At this point I have to turn the camera off and right back on to get it to work again. But what I have noticed is, when I turn my focal length from 17mm toward 50mm this seems to be when the problem is most likely to occur. The problem will also take place without touching the lens what so ever. I have cleaned the contacts on both lens and camera, but still no luck. If anyone out there knows what the problem might be or have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I am going nuts trying to figure this out on my own. I thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks again,

Alphanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:05 PM   #2

I think I'd get in touch with Tamron.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3

Check to see how much play you have in the "A" mount. I've had a similar problem with my A700 body and a Sigma lens and it was a combination of the mount on the camera body side being a little loose and the contacts sub-frame on the lens side being a little loose. I believe I was getting an intermittent contact when the lens rocked ever so slightly in one particular direction. Once I tightened up the screws on both sides the issue stopped.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip, seems to have done the job. I did tighten the screws down on both lens and camera, and they were a little loose. I did get it to error once, but that was only after numerous attempts of being ever so rough with lens, which I would normally never treat my equipment this way. I'm glad it wasn't the flex focus cable like I was thinking, I was not looking forward to tearing the lens apart, although I would have had that been it. Thanks again for the great tip, one I will keep in my bag of tricks.

Last edited by Alphanut; Sep 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM.
Alphanut is offline   Reply With Quote