Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:04 AM   #1

Default Sony full-frame lens suggestions

Hello. I've recently acquired an a850 body. I use Nikon DX but i got the chance to buy the a850 for a very very good price locally so i didnt want to miss the opportunity to dip my fingers in full frame waters.

I want to use it exclusively for landscape/nature and an occasional family portrait shoots.
I am wondering about lenses. With the camera i got Minolta 35-70 3.5-4.5, Minolta 50 2.8 macro, and a Tokina 20-35 3.5-4.5. From what i gathered, these are old but solid lenses so i wonder if i should stay put or look for some additions. I would like to go a little wider than 20mm as i think i could easily find use for that focal length where i live.
Basically I want to have a solid quality wide lens and a solid portrait lens which can more or less use the potential of the camera's sensor. I dont have the budget for CZ glass so i dont even want to think about it right now. Sniffing around a bit, i think that Sony 85mm 2.8 would be a perfect fit for my portrait needs and its cheap. Wide angle is not so simple, i found a Sigma 12-24 (older version) and a Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 which i can afford. There is also Minolta/Sony 20mm 2.8 but thats not really all that wide.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sasha
sasaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:31 AM   #2

I agree that the Sony 85/2.8 should do well for your portraits.

An ultrawide zoom is another matter, especially on a budget. The Tokina 20-35 is nice. Something wider and as good will not be cheap. On a 'Full Frame' body, the Sigma you mentioned vignettes a lot, and the Tamron has really soft corners. I wouldn't think that either of them would be good for landscape photography.

20mm on a 'Full Frame' body is pretty wide. I'd play with that Tokina and see where I could go with that.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks, i think i'll just get the 85/2.8 and as you say, see what the tokina can give me.
sasaboss is offline   Reply With Quote