Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:11 PM   #1

ok guys, i have no previous knowledge or experience with Minolta but my teacher asked me to help him. he's got a Canon film SLR with 4 lens(macro/wide/tele/unsure about 4th one) and also a Minolta with "more lenses than the Canon". now he wants to go digital and be able to use his lenses, and since he has more lenses for Minolta than Canon he wants a dSLR from Minolta.

the only two i could find here were the Maxxum7D and an old one from 2000 that's kinda bulky. will the Maxxum 7D allow him to use his old lenses? is it a good camera? how much do they go for more or less? please inform me about minolta dSLR's and whether he should go with them, or stick to my suggestion of getting a 300D:?
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2

The new Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D is a very good camera. It's selling for approximately $1,499.00 now in the U.S. for the body only, and around $1,589.00 for a kit that includes the body + a lens.

You can find a review of it here:

As far a lenses, it depends on what model Minolta DSLR your teacher has. If it's a Maxxum (or Dynax) model, the lenses should be compatible. If it's older than the Maxxum series, the lenses will probably not be compatible.

As for the Canon, you'd have similar concerns (only Canon EF mount lenses would work on a newer Canon DSLR).

With either camera, you would have a different angle of view.... Because the sensors in these cameras are smaller than 35mm film, you have what is known as a Crop Factor (a.k.a., Focal Length Multiplier).

So, your lenses will appear to be longer on a DSLR versus a Film Camera. This multiplier is 1.5x for the Maxxum 7D, and 1.6x for the Canon Digital Rebel.

For example, a 50mm lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 75mm on the Maxxum 7D (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm); or a 50mm lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 80mm onthe Canon Digital Rebel (50mm x 1.6 = 80mm).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:50 PM   #3

For the KM 7D the compatible lenses are: ALL of the MAXXUM AF line.

INCOMPATIBLE: MC & MD (manual focus) lines.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote