Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:15 AM   #1

Has anyone gotten the SunPak 5000 to work with the new Maxxum 7d?

When I use it in ADI or TTL mode, all I get is wash-out (i.e., the flash is too bright). It appears to be setting all the parameters correctly when I am focusing, but when I take the picture, the distance meter pegs all the way to the right (subject is very far in the distance) and it uses the full power of the flash?

When I switch over to "A" mode, I get reasonable shots, but I have to manually set the F-stop.

Any idea on what's going on?
samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:03 PM   #2

Are you using the new digital lenses by either Konica Minolta or Tokina? These new lenses have more electronics that talks to the camera and the ADI function takes information from these lenses to calculate the exposure. This feature cannot be used with older lenses not made for the 7D. I just found this out. Maybe someone else can support this statement. The flash also has to be made for the new 7D. Even if the hotshoe fits the camera, the electronics are not for the 7D.:evil:therefore....older accessories do not work properly with the 7D and you have to buy all new lenses and flashes....
flakybandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:26 AM   #3

I have a Sunpak ringflash I used with my X-700. When I got the 7D, I contacted Sunpak about a module, and was told they weren't going to support it! Has that changed?
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:28 AM   #4

the sunpak 5000 will only fire at maximum w/ KM 7D

(D) lenses have no bearing

your only option is to contact sunpak (and pray)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote