Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:30 PM   #31

bernabeu wrote:
the lenses you have are just fine! they are superb with the APS-C size sensor (only shooting through the sweet spot)

GO FOR THE 7D, worry about glass later

the 18-70 is a 'digital' lens designed for the APS-C sensor and will not be useable with the (soon to be) 9D or a film maxxum http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...kmdtlenses.asp

(JimC; please correct me if I'm wrong)
We published thesame press release here on our breaking news page:

Since Konica-Minolta hasn't announcedany specs for a 9D yet, it's too soon to tell if it will be full frame or not. Personally, I'm not so sure we'll see one during the first run of any new high end model, and I probably see the same rumours that you do on the forums.

It's expensive to make a full frame sensor. Canonhas announcedtheir new EOS-5D. But,that's going to be a >$3k camera, even though the body isn't weather sealed and it doesn't have theframe rate, etc., you'd expect to see on a more expensive camera.

If there is an affordable full frame model in the future, then "made for digital only" lenses like the new Minolta DT series lenses won't work. I just don't know how long we may need to wait until that happens.

From the images I've seen, the 18-70mm lens doesn't seem to be too bad. Color and Contrast look good, flare appears to be well controlled, and sharpness isn't too bad either (especially for a zoom lens with this much range).

On the other hand, it's pretty slow (down to a maximum aperture of f/5.6 by the time you get to 35mm). I was surpised to find out that it lost that much aperture so soon (something to do with the compact design I guess).

If I were buying a 5D, I may be inclined to get the 18-70mm kit lens, just because it's small, light and convenient with fairly good range (and only about $100 more with the kit). I'd try it and sell it on Ebay if I didn't like it (since it looks like they'll probably sell for around $149 separately, I'd probably break even on it).

If I were buying a 7D, I'd probably skip any of the kit lenses and get something else as a walk around/travel type lens (24-50mm f/4, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, etc.). Starting out at around 36mm (equivalent) wouldn't be too bad from my perspective.

But, others may like a smaller lens that starts out wider like the 18-70mm, and may not care that it's widest aperture is f/5.6 by the time you get to 35mm, or that it can't be used on a 35mm film model DSLR with the same size sensor.

Personally, I still haven't made up my mind between the 2 bodies. I did decide to go ahead and buy a 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 as a compromise type lens (size/weight/focal range/quality). It shipped yesterday from the vendor.

I may buy several more lenses in this general range to try out. For example,the 24-50mm f/4 looks like it would be much better from a size/weight perspective, and I'm already used to a 35-70mm lens as a walk around on 35mm cameras (a 24-50mm would would be pretty close after the crop). Then, just sell the ones I decide I don't want to keep. I'm buying most of these lenses used (looking for bargains). So, I won't lose too much (if any) money reselling them later.

So far, I've bought the following lenses in Minolta AF mount over the past couple ofmonths (and I still haven't bought a KM DSLR body to use them on): Minolta28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5; Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, SP 35-105mm f/2.8
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:00 PM   #32

I've been using an XE-5 for 24 years with a MC 58mm f1.4and a 28mm f2. Biggest glass I could afford back then. I suppose digital has more exposure flexibility than film so maybe the slow AF lenses I have will be fine. (I think I'll invest in a goodflash)

I ordered the 7D. I don't think I'll find the size too big. My XE-5 is a heavy old beast.

After a succession of pocket-sized p&s digicams I'm really looking forward to seeing for myself what you can really do in digital.
guy48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:47 AM   #33

JimC wrote:
I'll let you guys know when I make upmy mind (after I get my hands on a 5D to see how it feels before deciding).
Iwent withthe 5D versus the 7D for my needs (and each user's needs/preferencesmay be different).

It looks like it's going to be a keeper. I'll make another update after I've had a chance to give it a good workout over the next couple of weekends.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:30 PM   #34

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:46 AM   #35

I was in the same dilemma.The 7D body is only slightly more money than the 5D here, but youcan't get it with the kit lens, so you basically end up paying more for a 35mm lens. In the end I decided to go with the 5Don the grounds thatI'll probably buy another body anyway when the new model comes out. So far it's looking good.Thekit lens seems fine. If there are any issues with it I can't see them. I've also bought a KM 100mm macro and the Minolta 500mm AF mirror. I love the mirror lens - very small and light, pretty sharp and, best of all, accurate and reasonably quickAF and image stabilisation! Amazing stuff. What other system can offer this?The bokeh's a bit strange but that doesn't bother me.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:43 AM   #36
Super Moderator

I'm another person in a similar situation. Does anyone know if there is a rebate in the UK???? I had a look at the US form but that will not help me.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote