Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 6, 2005, 3:39 AM   #1

This question may be a little off-topic, but I have to ask ...

Did anyone else here on the forum take advantage of KM's $200 rebate on the 7D? I selected the 7D based partially on the rebate (I wanted the 7D, but the rebate certainly sweetened the deal.) I purchased my camera through B&H. I wanted to purchase from a local dealer, but no one had the 7D in stock.

Anyway, did anyone else have to jump through hoops to get their rebate?!?! I filled out the necessary form, mailed EVERYTHING in (I triple checked to make sure ALL of the info was included) and my rebate request was initially rejected!

Pissed beyond belief, I called the number on the rejection slip I was sent. A rep from KM told me that I had to make copies of everything I had just sent in, including a photocopy of the damn box (proof that I had clipped the UPC symbol from the bottom of the box.) WTF!?!? I was beyond angry at this point. I scanned everything and sent the required fax to KM via my computer - which wound up being a 15 minute fax call (I'm sure the long distance charge on that call will be fun.)

No explanation was given by KM.

Thankfully, I had saved my original packaging, or else I would have been out the rebate. And I wouldn't have been able to return the camera, either (I can't imagine any seller taking back a camera sans the UPC code.)

It almost seems to me that KM was trying to welch on the rebate, thinking that many users would have already thrown away their original packaging. I got my rebate, but I had to prove that I purchased the camera on three occassions (once for the original rebate, once over the phone and then with a fax.)

This is my third Minolta camera - and it may be my last.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:08 PM   #2

I just checked on web-rebates.com/konicaminoltaand my rebate check is in the request stage which means all associated materials were there and there are no errors in my submittal.

It looks like I will receive my rebate with no problems, but I'll be back if there are any!
chamill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:13 PM   #3

I purchased the 7D at Don's Photo in Regina, SK, sent in the rebate form along with the other required stuff, got my cheque back, and have already spent it on a lens!!
kjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 5:37 AM   #4

I suspect the reason for all this hassle is that KM don't want to pay out on 7D's that have been purchased prior to the offer being made, and people abroad, sending in their cameras ID cards etc hoping to also get a discount even though they don't live or have bought the camera in the US! - This kind of scam by cheapskates hoping to benefit off another countries special discounts, isn't anything new! In the EEC, you get a 2 year warranty with cameras; US buyers have been mightily annoyed to discover they are not getting this, so buy their cameras in the EEC and when/if it goes wrong 12+ months later, send it into the US importer, expecting that the 2 year warranty will be honoured. Of course it isn't, unless the owner pays for their camera to be sent to the country they bought it from, for repair under the warrantee!
SamsSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:44 PM   #5

I bought mine from Kameta Camera in New York and have received my rebate check without issue.
Jamy is offline   Reply With Quote