Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 24, 2005, 5:57 PM   #1

Today was my first shooting experience with a digital SLR... my granddaughter's 8th grade voleyball game... I shot at ISO 800, auto white balance, straight auto setting (except for a few manual focus).

The color is outstanding, but coming from a Dimage A1 I was floored by how much you can "push the film" and still get very usable photos with little noise (with the A1 - which is otherwise a great camera - you can see noise at ISO 200). After putting my pictures through NeatImage, they're as good as I would want them for great 11x14 prints (I use a dye sublimation printer, but my maximum is 8x10 on it).

I also used the "motorized" continuous shoot mode... another "wow" experience... I'm sooo happy with this camera...!

argie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:41 PM   #2

Yes IMHO the 7d is a very impressive camera
You can push the ISO higher still

Download a copy of neatimage http://www.neatimage.com/index.html
(The download page says the demo edition is freeware for non-comercial use)

It cleans up the high ISO artifacts, using it I've been pretty impressed with what I get even at ISO 3200 on my canon 20D.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:48 PM   #3

Argie, I'd be interested in seeing the pic quality of the indoor volleyball. My son plays high school basketball and I'm curious how the KM 7D ( or 5D) will perform in similar situations - school gym lighting, fast action, etc...

Would you post a couple of your better shots in the forum?

Kennybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:33 AM   #4

I too would love to see a few samples of the indoor gym shots, we are always in the school gym for one of the children or another. My 5D came the other day and like you I am impressed, and a little overwhelmed, with the power, and all the settings. I can tell it will take me some time to learn this rig. But I don't mind. School is again in session for me.

mikesjoint is offline   Reply With Quote