Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:46 AM   #1

WOW, I got the 5D, LOVE it. I am wanting to get some help in understanding this cameras way of nameing the files. After clearing the cf card, the camera goes back to file name 1. So if I shoot today and shoott 200 pictures, clear it tonight, then shoot tomorrow, the first files of each day cannot be kept in the same folder on the pc.

Can someone please tell me if this can be changed. My pocket camera, KM G600, keeps count of the pictures taken, I have over 2500 pictures in the same folder from the G600,, all consecutively named, even though not taken on the same day, and sd card cleared every night.

mikesjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:33 AM   #2

I just bought one last week, love it too. I shoot in RAW, and haven't tried it in jpeg yet. In RAW, it keeps track.
ww2buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:57 AM   #3

I too love this camera, went to air show yesterday, but got there late, as I had to work, most planes were gone or leaving as I arrived. Hadn't reviewed shots yet. I'm kinda photoshop dumb, so I been kinda reluctant to use raw. I gess I need to step up tho.
mikesjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:15 AM   #4

It's behavior is probably controlled byone of the settings you'll find in the setup menu:

File # memory — On: File numbers are assigned sequentially or Off

Some models also look at the card, and if they find an imagefile numbered already, they'll start from there for subsequent images.

As for your G600, it's got a similar setting under Setup, Number Reset (on or off).

You can even reset theG600 so that it thinks it's brand new (number of photos taken, date and time of first use, etc). This information is stored in EEPROM, regardless of the settings a user normally has access to (under a hidden Service Menu, which has lots of stuff like the ability to shoot in raw, focus bracketing and more).

But, you don't want to go into a menu choice there that you're not familar with (you can find the keycodes to enter these menus).

Otherwise, you can ruin your camera (for example, one of the focus calibration menu choices immediatley begins an Autofocus Calibration without further warning if you enter it; and since it's expecting the camera to be setup on a tripod with a test target at a specific distance, you'll have avery difficult time ever getting the Autofocus to work right again (both speed and accuracy).

I know this from experience with these cameras, learning the hard way. ;-) I'vegot a Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500) with the identical hidden service menus and options that your G600 has.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote