Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:29 PM   #1

Has anyone attempted any IR pictures with Dynax 5D? I have read somewhere that the capability depends on the lens. Some lenses are not sensitive to IR and will exhibit hot spots. I have tried with the 18-70mm Kit Lens but not successful. Even have problem taking custom white balance by pointing at the blue sky.

Anyone already have some positive experience? Which Lens you used?

doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:22 PM   #2

Hi doublechin,

I m not sure whether its the lens compatibility issue but since you have tried it with the kit-lens and didnt work, it may summed up to that.

I have tried some IR shots using a Cokin P0007 filter on a Minolta xi 28-105mm F/3.5-4.5 and i get pleasant results.

jaypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:30 AM   #3

Generally it isn't the sensitivity of the lens that will ultimately determine how well your camera will be able to do IR, but the sensitivity of the CCD to IR light, and the quality of the internal ir-cut filter. Most digital camera sensors are quite sensitive to IR, and as a result, most manufacturers install a hot mirror to prevent IR light from corrupting regular visible light images.

Different lenses will, however, exhibit more or less of the "hot spot" effect based on the IR transparency of different coatings within the lenses. Some will do it, and some won't.

Jaypeg.... I'm about to pick up a 5D myself. Out of curiosity, how many f-stop do you lose with the Cokin P0007 (which I believe is equivalent to my Hoya R72)?

landsknechte is offline   Reply With Quote