Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:26 PM   #1

I browsed many forums to find if this Sigma EF-500 DG Super will work correctly on my 5D and it's not easy to find a solid response.
I have opportunity to buy one for 110$ (125€). This is a MA-ADI version and serial number is 7009017.

What do you think ?
Should i buy it ?
red71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:57 AM   #2

I personally wouldn't buy one. I recently (a couple of weeks ago) saw a poster claim they've made one work OK by using specific settings and not bouncing (flash underexposed when trying to bounce).

But, this same poster later said exposure was very erratic unless using it off camera in wireless mode. The flash had a serial number of 702xxxx (higher serial number than the one you're looking at).

That's far too "iffy" for me.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:27 PM   #3

I got a Minolta 5600HS for Christmas - maybe a bit early but...I had a chance to do some testing with my Sigma EF-500 DG Super vs the 5600HS.

I found that the Minolta give overall better results in every situation except one.

My test was at 3 meters away 18-70mm at 70 mm Minolta lens. Maxxum 7D in S mode. Room was small with white walls and ceiling - satin gloss. ASA 1600.

Direct camera mounted - Sigma perfect exposure in FP mode. Minolta 1/2 stop under.

Direct Camera mountedat 1/500 shutter speed - Minolta 1 stop under, Sigma 1.25 stops over.

Ceiling bounce 180 deg. - Sigma 2 stops over - yuck! Minolta was 1/2 stop under exposed.

Wall to ceiling 270 deg bounce - Sigma was 2+ over and the minolta was 1.5 stops under. Whats going on here?

Wireless at arms length - Sigma +0.5 stops, while the Minolta was perfect.

1 to 2 and 2 to 1 produced about the same results as 1 to 1.

The room and ASA situations will tend to magify any problems - and will magnify results so that they are more easily readable. While underexposed have a chance to be saved in Adobe, the overexposed +1.5 to +2 have facial detailed burned away and are throw aways.

bsteaves is offline   Reply With Quote