Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:45 PM   #1

Well, I guess I have to buy the 5d:lol:

Thanks to this site I jumped in and bought some lenses today,
KEH minolta 70-210 f4.5-5.6 I Macro for $39
Ebay minolta 35-70 f3.5-4.5 for $17
Ebay minolta 50mm f1.7 with 3000i film body for $48

They seemed too good to pass up, KEH has a lot of 70-210 zooms by various manufacturers for $29 and up. I figured I'd buy the lenses first, since they are likely to continue to be bought up by the new 5d and 7d buyers and since the camera prices are likely to drop when (if) a new model is released soon. For $104 plus all the shipping chargers (ouch!) I think I have almost all the lenses I need except for a wide angle, but I'll probably get the kit lens to cover that. I also have a film camera now, which will be my first (I'm regressing!). I want to compare film to digital for myself and have a backup, so this works well.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if there is a lens I should consider for wide angle 18-35mm, or preferably even a little wider, other than the kit lens? Keeping in mind I'm not going to spend $400 on a lens anytime soon.

Also, any info about the lenses I bought? This is my first venture into SLR land, having used an A1 and p&s cameras previously.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2

There are not too many lenses out there for cheap in the really wide variety. Film camera's didn't need super wide lenses because there was no crop factor so there are not too many used lenses available. You can find a Sigma 15-30 for $300 new but that's as close to wide as you'll get without spending more. You can also look for a used Minolta 17-35 for a good price or settle for the 5D's 18mm wide kit lens.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote