Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:19 AM   #1

I am looking into lensfor 5D. i don't have one yet but I am looking into all the cost first.

I understand that the maxxum lenses are compatible for the 5D. I don't understand all the letters that go with the lenses, what does APO mean? Do I have to buy Minolta's or will sigma or others work ok. The other but one of the most important questions I have is how can you tell a good fast lens from a cheep piece of junk if I go to find a used lens to save on cost? If I find a aftermarket lens and it has the same numbers as a minolta lens does that mean it is a good lens or what do I need to look for? I shoot a lot of low light sports so I have heard that a f2.0 or f1.7 fixed lens is good for that so is a f1.7 minolta the same as a f1.7 aftermarket?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:38 PM   #2

APO (APO Lens)
In order to attain the highest quality images, the APO lens has been made using special low-dispersion (SLD) glass and is designed to minimize color aberration.

Sigma lenses works too.
(Except some lenses that have a back/front focus problem but it's rare).

If you want to know if a lens is good or not, you have to find user's review... it's like a car. Specifications gives an idea of theoric results, but not in real life ;-)
red71 is offline   Reply With Quote