Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:58 PM   #1

I finally did it. Took a deep breath, ignored the initial damage to my bank balance, and punched the "Buy Now!" button for a 7D and 28-100 lens. Now I just gotta be patient until it gets here. (Yeah. Right!)

After a trip to Carlsbad Caverns where my little P&S Canon just wasn't enough, I went into our local "We'll Cheerfully Gouge You" camera store and tried a few DSLR's on for size. Didn't like the size or viewfindes of the Pendax DS2 or the Olympus E500. The Canon 20D was nice, but felt somehow insubstantial (personal opinion). The Nikon D70s was a contender, but the viewfinder was almost black. (The salesperson did some secret move and fixed that, but it worried me.) Then ... I picked up the 7D. The weight, feel, and fit catapulted me back to the day I bought my first SLR ... a Minolta STR-100. Simple. elegant, heavy, and amazingly strong. "Now THIS," I said to myself ... then and now ... "is a MACHINE!"

Just holding the 7D made me remember the absolute thrill I experienced about 30 years ago when I got a package of slides back from the processor ... slides where I had experimented with candlelight and cats, alate nightexposure of a usually busy Miami street, and some early morning palm trees as they were first kissed by the sun. When I opened that box and saw what I had done, I thought to myself: "I am a PHOTOGRAPHER!" I was never so excited before, and have rarely been so since.

Who says you can't go home again?

gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:43 PM   #2

Congratulations!! You are going to love it. A friend of mine has the Nikon D70, a great camera, and when he held my 7D and looked through it's viewfinder,he couldn't believe the difference. I do like the more "solid, quality" sound of the Nikons shutter. The 7D is a great camera, with awesome image quality.

The 28-100mm kit lens feels very cheap, but when compared to my 28-105mm Minolta lens, I can't tell the difference as far as quality for the usual printing and viewing, so it's worth having it :if for nothingelse, than the use for the ADI flash feature.

Enjoy it!!!

1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:20 PM   #3

look for a used minolta 35-70mm f4 macro

RAZOR SHARP 52-105mm equiv and 1:2 macro !
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 6:13 PM   #4

What a bummer. The day before I'm schdeuled to get my D7, I read that KM is handing things off to Sony.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Will refuse delivery tomorrow, and take the creditied funds and buy a Sony DSC-R1.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If I'm going to have to have a Sony camera, I'll buy a Sony camera. :G

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It'll probably suit my needs better anyway.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So ... I guess I'll be movin' over to the Sony forums. It was nice while it lasted. :?
gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:36 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Gaw....I think that you will be missing out on a great camera if you go for the Sony. You will have very limited flexibility when it comes to differing shots due to the lens options (or lack of). The 7D is still a great choice (unfortunately I only have the 5D) which will give wonderful results and nothing will take away from that. Sony will still support the service of this so no worries. Don't sell yourself short by getting the R1.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:23 AM   #6

"Don't sell yourself short by getting the R1."

GAW - I completely agree with Mark. While the R1 is an interesting camera in its own right, ultimately it isstill a P&S. I've hadpoint-and-shoot camerasthat were very capable (even high-end) but always left me wanting more. Their convenience is always tempered by their limitations. Just read the reviews on the R1 and you will noticea similarreaction on the part of the reviewers.

When I got my 5D I experienced the samefeelings you described when you picked up the 7D. Having shot 35mm for years, I felt I finally once again was holding a "real" camera. And, I have not been disappointed with the results (even over my 8 mp P&S), or with my decision to go with KM instead of Canon, Nikon or Pentax. Integrated body AS puts the KMs in a class by themselves. Will Sony make it available in their new DLSR? Probably (if they are smart; along with that 10mp sensor). But I don't think it will be cheap.

Keep the 7D. You won't regret it.

djwittmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:39 AM   #7

I agree with the other posters. I'm a 7D owner who thinks this camera is terrific. Nice bright viewfinder, good ergonomics and lots of nice features. I'm a long time Minolta owner/user and have a few film bodies as well. Am I disturbed that KM is getting out of the camera business? You bet. Does that mean I regret buying my 7D? Absolutely not. It's the camera that had the features I wanted, it's a pleasure to use, and support for it is not going to disappear.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote