Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1

I`m about to buy my first DSLR and the KM 5D was high on my list but since the news came out that KM are going to stop making cameras and that Sony will take over what is left of theyre technology and are going to be responsible for servicing KM hardware.

I`m really hesitating,what is going to happen with the KM lenses....or are there going to be only Sony lenses in the futur ?

Maybe i should get an Olympus E-500 or Nikon D50...i cannot make up my mind so can someone help me ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:48 AM   #2

I don't think the sale to Sony makes any difference. Sony is likely to continue the Minolta lens system (IMHO, very likely - can't see any reason they would change). It is always possible that Nikon will change its lens mounting system, and that Olympus will get out of the SLR market. So no matter what you get, there is always the possibility of having an orphan. Not likelysince all manufacturers want to retain their customer base.

I think Sony remembers Beta VHS well enough to avoid making unique proprietary lenses.

In addition, Tamron, Sigma, and other third party lens makers are almost certain to continue to offer Minolta mount lenses even if Sony does change.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote