Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:27 PM   #1

I bought a new KM Maxxum 7D 12/05 and like the way it performs.....when it does.¬* There are two symptoms:1.¬* If I haven't used the camera for a few days, it will not turn on.¬* Placing the battery in the charger for as little as 2 minutes will get it started even if the battery is already fully charged.Sometimes this happens when I am using the camera.¬* Then the LCD freezes with a fuzzy and distorted image.¬* Then the only way to unfreeze the camera is to remove the battery.¬* Then I have to go through all the machinations with the battery and charger to get going again.2.¬* Some times the shutter freezes with the image counter in the view finder (lower right corner" reading "0."¬* Then you have to reformat the CF card and reset to default setting on the camera. befor the shutter will release.¬* Sometimes this will not work either but leaving the camera alone overnight works.Should I just send the camera in for repairs or try other fixes. ¬* ¬*I am worrried that I will have to get the camera replaces like¬* jomac in Canada did:http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...139#p460139Any help would be appreciated.
Crumbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2

Try cleaning the lens mount contacts. Ditto for the battery contacts.

Your observation on recharging the battery for a short time correcting the issue implies a bad connection (and these are usually caused by oxidation on contacts).

Have you tried a different battery in case it's defective?

You can get specialized contact cleaners for cleaning contacts (for example, Radio Shack carries a contact cleaning "pen" with a wick at the tip and special cleaning fluid that doesn't leave a residue. Just because they look shiney doesn't mean they are clean for conductivity purposes.

In a pinch, a Q-tip and some alcohol is sometimes used (but, due to high water contact in most off the shelf "isopropyl alcohol" it's not a "recommended solution". Be careful, and do these kinds of things at your own risk.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:10 PM   #3

I would have to say that this almost certainly sounds like a defective battery.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote