Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:03 PM   #1

OK, I'm starting to get deeper into this DSLR stuff. Not sure if it's a good thing but I keep telling myself I only want to take good pictures of my 4 month old son (see attached)

I bought a 5D with the kit lens. Then I went and bought a 50mm 1.7 and 24mm 2.8. Thinking that I needed some longer coverage and wouldn't it be nice to shoot some B&W film throught htese lense some time I also bought the kit listed below.

I realize that tis is not prime glass but I wanted the camera body (small), the remote control, filters are always good, and the macro ability of the 75-300 so so I met the guy, gave him $125 and took the loot home.

The lens manual says that the macro is acheived by zooming out to 300 and the focus is then at infinity.

Well I can't seem to get it to work. When I zoom out to 300 the lens AF will not give me anything and using MF just gives me a blur.

Any suggestions for a newbie?:?

Maxxum XTsi w/ 2 zoom lenses and remote

Maxxum XTsi - A silver-metallic colored 35mm AF SLR with three-point crosscut autofocusing, 14-segment metering, and a host of high-performance features.

Microcomputer control of built-in flash
Electronically controlled shutter. Range: 1/4000 - 30 sec., plus BULB.
Multi-Exposure: 2 exposures per frame available.
Panorama mode selector switch allows both standard and panorama format pictures on the same roll of film.

Tamron 38-105mm 1:4-5.6 AF lens with Tokina Skylight 1A filter & lens hood
Minolta 75-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 AF lens with Tiffen UV Protector & lens hood

Tiffen Circular Polarizer 55mm Filter
Tiffen 812 55mm Filter

Remote Release Terminal with Maxxum Remote Cord.

Manual included
Attached Images
Quielo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:13 PM   #2

The closest focus distance for many of the 75-300mm lenses is around 5 feet at their long end. Most of the time, they are no better than 1:4 Macro Lenses (a subject 4 times the size of the film or sensor) at their closest focus distances. Many lenses without a macro designation can do this, too (even the kit lens is a 1:4 Macro, even though it's not labeled as a Macro lens). So, it can capture a subject just as small as most other zooms labeled Macro.

If you're trying to use AF, there is probably not enough light to get a lock indoors (f/5.6 is pretty dim, requirinng more than 8 times as much light to get the same shutter speeds you could get with your 50mm f/1.7 shooting at wide open apertures). More light helps a camera to see better for AF purposes.

At longer focal lengths, you'd also need a tripod with a long lens at f/5.6 indoors (AS is great, but it can't work miracles, and camera shake is magnified at longer focal lengths). Make sure you don't have a polarizer on it either indoors (that will cost you a couple of stops from light loss). A long zoom with a maximum available aperture of f/5.6 is best used outdoors in good light.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:24 PM   #3

Cute picture! There is a noticeable color cast. If you have Photoshop you could easily remove it by going to IMAGE | ADJUSTMENTS and selecting Autocolor.

Jerry H is offline   Reply With Quote