Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

I'm looking for a new zoom lens. So far I have the 18-70 kit lens and a 100-200. I like both lenses, and tend to use the kit lens more because of the broader range. I would really like a lens that's wider, with better accuracy on the wide end. I considered a prime, but I shoot a lot of nature stuff and want something more versatile. (I already have one prime I seldom use.)

Also, I have been comparing shots I took with the 18-70 to shots I took with my Oly 8080 (28-140), and I like many of the 8080 pics more. They often seem sharper with better color.

So can anybody recommend a lens that improves on the 18-70 but doesn't totally duplicate the range? And also doesn't break the bank? Thanks!
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:41 PM   #2

If you want a zoom lens that's much wider than 18mm, your primary choices in Minolta AF mount are these:

Tamron SP 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di II LD IF (approx. $549 at B&H but out of stock)

Konica Minolta 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 DT (approx. $549 at B&H but out of stock).

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG (approx. $659 at B&H and in stock).

If you shop around, you may be able to find the Tamron or KM branded 11-18mm somewhere in stock, and might be able to find a better price (but, I wouldn't count on it).

An ultra wide zoom with decent quality is not easy to make.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote