Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:56 PM   #1

I am looking to get the Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 APO Series 1 Autofocus Zoom Lens for my new 5D. Is this lens considered good? Alsoare the optics in this lens any good?

Thanks for any outlook.
cuzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:24 PM   #2

That lens is rated as having very poor optical quality by users responding to surveys.

You sometimes see these lenses being sold under other brand names, too (Cosina, Promaster, etc.).

A couple of the Vivitar/Cosina/Promaster lenses are OK optically (even if they have very poor build quality).

But, not that one.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and select Minolta AF from the User Performance Surveys section to see user ratings for lenses available for the 5D (including third party lenses). Just press the start query button on the page that comes up after you select Minolta AF.

That Vivitar will be the next to the last lens on the list that comes up after you use press the Start Query button using the defaults.

You'd be better off with your existing 80-200mm f/4-5.6

There is no free lunch. A better lens is going to cost you, unless you don't mind going used and are a good and patient shopper.

If you want something better than what you've got, you may want to look around for a Minolta 70-210mm f/4 (much less expensive compared to the f/2.8 zooms, but very good build quality and well liked by KM DSLR owners).

It's got a constant f/4 aperture available throughout the focal range, only losing 1 stop compared to a higher priced f/2.8 zoom. You can pick them up at very reasonable prices used (less than $200, and sometimes you see them for less than $100).

But, depending on the conditions you're shooting in, you may not need anything better than you've already got, and I certainly wouldn't waste my money on a cheap lens like that Vivitar.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:50 PM   #3

Thank you for all of your help.....
cuzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote