Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:08 PM   #1

is there any way to change the default settings so i don't have to do this every time i turn the camera back on? i would like to leave it in continuous shooting mode and spot metering for skiing. it is not easy working with gloves and cold. j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:08 PM   #2

It only returns to factory defaults in the fully automatic modes (Green Auto) and Scene Modes. Since these are designed to set everything for a user, they probably decided to return everything to defaults to prevent mistakes.

The 5D retains your settings for focus and metring in other modes (Aperture Priority, Programmed Auto, Manual Exposure, Shutter Priority).

Try shooting in P mode if you want the camera to make the decisions about exposure and still retain your settings for focus and metering.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:46 AM   #3

Yeah, one of the more irritating things about my 7d is that it doesn't keep the continuous advance, or the continuous advance bracketing modes in auto mode (green P)if you shut it off. That to me is odd, since the dial is still set for it. I have also noticed that it will also reset your "quality" setting (resolution) on the off->on cycle. This has actually saved some images on one occasion for me though.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:49 PM   #4

Mine seems to return those just fine, but I never use the Auto mode - mostly Aperature priority or full manual. The scene modes reset various things so that might be your problem.

If you like the scene/Auto mode, why not just leave the camera turned on? It goes into sleep mode so doesn't eat the battery when you aren't using it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote