Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

View Poll Results: What ISO do you feel comfortable up to?
ISO 3200 5 29.41%
ISO 1600 4 23.53%
ISO 800 5 29.41%
ISO 400 3 17.65%
ISO 200 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1

My photos are generally used with either zone matching or 400 and below, however i recently looked over my picture here http://www.deviantart.com/view/31273326/ (for the EXIF data) and its at iso 800. i see no noise whatsoever. i dont use noise reduction software, because i have no idea which one to use! i also use the dimage lite for RAW, but feel i could use something better but dont know which one, theres too many and i dont wanna pay for one, yet. anyway.

so what would say is the max ISO you feel comfortable using, i've just gotten comfortable with ISO 800, though i wonder which situations would bring out the most noise for this?
Attached Images
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:35 AM   #2

Depends on what I am going to do with the image, and how important I think it is to get any kind of picture. Many critters don't come out until twilight at the earliest.

Shot 10 minutes after sunset with a 300mm (450 equiv) lens, ISO 3200, 1/20th sec, f/6.3 (wide open), hand held, through our bedroom window.Far fromthe greatest picture, but few people even see a gray fox let alone get any kind of picture of them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:33 AM   #3

I cant see the exif on this one so the ISO you can use depends on your camera. For my Minolta 5D which goe sup to 3200, I have no issue using 1600 and cleaning up with software. 3200 and noise reduction look decent most of the time with a little cleanup for smaller prints

You will notice the noise the more you post process. If you sharpen the image, you sharpen the grain as well, making it more noticeable. Other things like contrast might bring it out more as well.

For noise reduction I use the free stand alone version of Neat Image for quick things. I also have the niose Ninja plugin for photoshop. The free version only lets you save to JPG (i think) The plug ins are certainly more customizable and one less step in the workflow if you use adobe to process anyway.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:28 AM   #4

I'm comfortable using whatever it takes, but obviously try to limit myself to the lowest iso possible to help avoid any quality problems. I often use iso800 and 1600, its largely why I bought a dslr.

This picture is at iso3200

This one was at iso800 but underexposed, so I pushed it quite a bit in post processing and used noise ninja to clean it up. Came out quite good, I think, but leaves room for improvement on my part.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:41 PM   #5

Of course I'll "go all the way". I'd try to stick to ISO 800 or less but a bad shot is better than one skipped, and I have been pleasantly surprised way too many times to not try.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:59 AM   #6

i wonder if there is a plug-in for the DiMage software like how adobe has plugin's, i like using dimage for opening raw, then sending it to photoshop.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:34 PM   #7

You left out a choice on your Poll (ISO 6400).

I've been known to underexpose a stop at ISO 3200, sometimes deliberately, sometimes not -:-) (which gives you faster shutter speeds), then brighten the images up later using software, making it the equivalent of shooting at ISO 6400 from a shutter speed (and noise) perspective.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:39 AM   #8

wow that is crazy, yeah definitely to get better at raw processing.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:26 AM   #9

downloaded noise ninja but keep getting not compatible with the kodak program i got with my KM5D,is there something else i have to down load
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:15 PM   #10

If the program conflict involves Kodak Easy Share, you might try uninstalling Kodak Easy Share, as it does conflict with lots of things and it will also slow your computer overall.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote