Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 13, 2006, 7:28 AM   #1

Hello folks.

A little late in the game I know but I have just discovered the existence of microdrives!

I have a 5D and I wondered if anyone has used such a drive or similar in their 5D or 7D?

My concern is battery drain and write speeds but they do represent good value for money against the 4GB CF extreme 3 prices.

Any thoughts are well reeived.

overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 10:50 AM   #2

The only thing I have heard is a couple of instances where the drive cratered and caused loss of pictures. I would rather put my $$ into a couple of 2GB CF cards. I have not heard of top notch CF cards dying. I use the Lexar 80X 2GB and have been very happy with it.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 3:21 PM   #3

I have a4 year old 1gb IBM microdrive and a 2 yr old 2gb Toshiba. Both used in the 5D and previous cameras. No problems so far.

They are a bit more fragile than a CF card (moving parts) and are comparable in speed to a standard CF. That means that transfer and write speeds aren't that fast. That'susually only important if you plan to shoot a lot of action shots in drive mode. Faster CF cards can keep up (mostly) with the camera buffer. Microdrives will slow your camera down once the buffer is full.

djwittmier is offline   Reply With Quote