Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:16 AM   #1

in a nutshell, someone figured out that if you leave the 36K or 56K on your 5D or 7D and have it in the "off" position, you get IR focus assist. i'm not sure if this was common knowledge, or discussed at all here, but thought it pretty neat-o... just wanted to pass this little gem of information on.

i hope it's kosher that i included the link to where i found the info... i'm a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due.

Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2006, 3:15 AM   #2

Very interesting. I have some old Minolta dedicated flashes and will try this out. Thanks for the tip.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

interestingly, it appears that it's not just the new flashes that do this, but some of the older minolta flashes also. Quite cool.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:23 AM   #4

It also does work with the Sony HVL-F56AM.
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:39 AM   #5

I used to have a separate IR emitter for the 9000 which was mounted on camera when using flash off camera. That was before the new and completely different shoe that the i series introduced. I don't recall them ever making an updated version but it would sure be nice to have a lightweight and more powerful emitter for those problematic longer distanceambient light shots.
mikekeyw is offline   Reply With Quote