Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:04 PM   #1

~One of my friends currently owns a Maxxum 450 si, and is considering buying a Minolta DSLR. He has two lenses and asked me to find out if they would work on a digital. So I turned to the experts. His two lenses are a Promaster 28-80 and aTamron Tele/Macro (1:3:9) 75-300 4-5.6 LD. I appreciate any information you can give me. I looked up both companies, and it seems they would work on a digital, but I'm not sure because of the mount differences.~

PhillyPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:23 PM   #2

Those two lens will indeed mount on either a KM 5D or a 7D. However if all of the auto functions will works is sometimes in doubt. Why not try them on somebody's KM camera and check it out.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:44 PM   #3

Any Autofocus lens designed for Minolta Maxxum or Dynax series cameras should work. From time to time, you see a problem with some older Sigma lenses reported. But, most others work fine.

I see several user reviews of that Tamron 75-300mm from KM DSLR owners, so it should work. It's an inexpensive zoom lens ($129.95 brand new at B&H or Adorama).

I haven't found anyone using that particular Promaster. Some of these lenses are made under a variety of brands (Promaster/Vivitar/Cosiina) and tend to be low end consumer lenses. But, surprisingly, I see very few problems reported with this lens brand on KM DSLR models.

I see one now on Ebay in new condition for $89.00. But, you could probably find a used one for around half that amount (or even less, depending on condition).

These lenses will appear to be longer on a DSLR, because a KM DSLR has a sensor that's smaller than 35mm film. So, the 28-80mm lens will behave like a 42-120mm lens on a KM DSLR from an angle of view perspective, comapred to a lens on a 35mm camera.

The 75-300mm lens would have the same angle of view (apparent magnification) as a 112-450mm lens would on a 35mm camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote