Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:29 AM   #1

I've been interested in the Sigma 10-20 and from what I read, most users seem to be happy with this ultra-wide lens.

For landscape and tight indoor shots this lens would seem to have some advantages.

One concern I haveabout this lens is it's compatibility with a flash (the 5600 in particular) for tight indoor shots or other low light situations. The 5600 is only capable of a flash as wide as 17mm and that does not cover the width of this lens.

Can anyonewith this lens comment on their experiences of using a flash with it?

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:46 PM   #2

I don't think there would be a problem on that since you are using crop size sensor. So basically your 10mm in (35mm)is 15mm the flash with its diffuser is 17mm is quite ok for me.

I have already tried my 10-20 on night landscape photography and i don't think the flash is really needed on outdoors landscape not unless you are also taking a picture of people with the landscape as the background. Nonetheless, i did also tried it, with a stofen diffuser not the built in and the picture turned out to be great.

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:38 PM   #3

I have a 7D with the Sigma 10-20mm and a 3600 flash.
The flash is not useful as a direct flash. On the wide end (and using the diffuser) the picture looks like you took a flash light and shined it (tunnel light). There is also a lens shadow at the bottom center of the picture (a big one).
I tried bouncing it off the ceiling and got usable but below average results. Maybe I need to play around with the apeture and distance to get a better picture and find the sweetspot (subject distance and apeture).
I trashed the flash pictures, but if you really need to see what I stated, I can retake some pictures and post again.

The lens without flash however is sweet...
Here's one of the first few picture's I took with it.

Attached Images
yoza717 is offline   Reply With Quote