Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1

i'm looking to buy an external flash unit for my 5d. i found this on ebay -> http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunpak-Auto-433D...QQcmdZViewItem

will this flash unit work on my 5d? http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.htmllists the voltage for the flash from 4volts to 14volts. would 14volts be enough to fry my camera?

please note that i already have the fs1100 which should fit this particular flash.

comments/previous experiences with the flash would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance! :-)
donm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:10 PM   #2

At least one of our forum members with a KM DSLR, rduve, has a 433D. I think we may have a few more members that use them with KM DLSR models, too.

KM has never published the specs for the hotshoe. So, to be safe, stick to 6 volts.

The ISO spec is actually 24 volts (as you can see from reading the text on the page you posted a link to with trigger voltages). But, some manufacturers (like Canon) say 6.

I noticed that only one person measured 14 volts (everyone else measured about half that). So, I'd be suspicious of that number being accurate anyway.

Personally, I'd be comfortable with anything much under 10 volts.

But, again, KM never published the specs for the hotshoe (and damage from excessive trigger voltage can be cumulative from what I understand). So, use any strobe at your own risk.

FWIW, I'm using a Sunpak 333 Auto with my 5D from time to time. It measures closer to 8 volts. But, I'm comfortable with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote