Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:50 PM   #1
Default Have any of you replaced a DSLR with a NEX?

Hey there,

So I've gone in the last two years from a Sony a230 all the way to a Canon 60D with a Canon 24-70L. However, now I'm thinking that since I don't have much time for photography anyways, that I'd possibly downsize a bit. I'm considering selling all my gear and getting a Sony NEX 7. How in your experiences is the image quality? Comparable to dslr quality? Anyone have thoughts on the similarities/differences between that and a dslr?

This is my Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/7577915...7629147746421/

Do you think I could get images of the same quality with a NEX 7n?

Thank you all very much!
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:59 PM   #2

I see you didn't get any opinions on this yet, so I'll throw in what I have. Nex 7 is an extremely good and recently designed sensor. The big advantage over standard DSLR is size. No mirror box = small camera. The previous nex 3-5 had an issue of "no real viewfinder" which is nicely addressed on the 7. The tough question is: if you have 35mm sensor, you would be downsizing sensor area. So: The very latest 35mm DSLR must have an edge there. Still I've never seen posts from a disapointed NEX 7 owner. On balance, I would "go for it". That smaller camera bag can go with you many more places.
SnapCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:07 PM   #3

LOL. In fact, that's exactly what I am doing now. I am setting up so that I will be using all NEX cameras. Hopefully they will become 2nd and 3rd back up when (or if) Sony introduces the FF NEX model. I am done with the DSLR especially the ones that are a little smaller than a Mini Cooper with lenses all the way down to the knees. Fuji has a Model with 28-270mm zoom and fits in a pocket. You can see where the technology is going. Love my NEX cameras.
bludebkk is offline   Reply With Quote