Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:57 AM   #1

Default Full Frame 24MP and 36MP Sony E mount !

They will be out October 16 .
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-s...nt-ocotber-16/

Quote:
A7 BODY $1,698.00
A7 28-70MM KIT $1,998.00
A7R BODY $2,198.00
DSC-RX10 : $1,298.00
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/a7-a7...aked-at-samys/

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-f...es-full-frame/
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:24 PM   #2

Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:40 PM   #3

36MP Sony A7r with 24-70mm Zeiss full frame E mount lens :

Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:00 PM   #4

Sony RX10 = € 1199

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:06 PM   #5

People on the other camera forums are amazed at how small the 36MP A7r is compared to the 36MP Nikon D800E that beat the 40MP Pentax 645D on the Pentax Forum !
http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/...tml#conclusion

Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:19 PM   #6

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:04 PM   #7

I really don't get it.

Four years ago, Sony had not one, but two 24MP 'Full Frame' dSLRs, one for less than $2,000, with available Carl Zeiss autofocus lenses. If Sony knew how to sell these things, they could have taken the photography world by storm. But that didn't happen.

Then Sony stopped making dSLRs and came up with a 'Full Frame' interchangeable lens camera with an electronic viewfinder, the A99, that could also use those Carl Zeiss autofocus lenses. But Sony still couldn't make any waves.

Then Sony introduces a $2,800 Point & Shoot digital camera with a 'Full Frame' Sensor. It is a remarkable camera, but it didn't set the world on fire either.

In amongst all this 'Full Frame' hoopla, some other companies were making some noise of their own with their mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, and Sony wanted a piece of that action. They put their APS-C sensors in a narrow body and made a whole new lens mount for it. Because of the narrow bodies, the lenses had to bend light more in order to cover the entire image sensor, and the result was more distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberration, and field curvature, some of which they could compensate for with varying degrees of success, but sometimes introduced other flaws. What's surprising is that, even though this new line of cameras was more expensive and not as good as their original product line, it enjoyed some success. Sony finally found something they could sell.

Now, Sony has married their 'Full Frame' sensors to their narrow bodies. The marriage requires new, more expensive lenses that must overcome greater obstacles in order to cover the larger image sensors.

I don't get it. What is it with Sony's seeming fascination with 'Full Frame'? It's a lot more expensive and it requires bigger, heavier, more expensive lenses, yet it only does a handful of things that 'APS-C' can't, and most of those things most people don't need, and some people, if they really knew what they were paying for, wouldn't want.

Certainly, Sony wants to sell 'Full Frame' cameras. They're expensive and flamboyant, photographic 'Bling', attracting attention from others. But what's the point of selling small 'Full Frame' cameras? What's the point of smaller 'Bling'?

Sony also wants to sell 'Full Frame' sensors to other camera makers, and it has done well at that. It's probably sold more 'Full Frame' sensors to Nikon than it has in its own cameras. But the 36MP 'Full Frame' sensors in one of the new 'Mirrorless' camera is customized to overcome some (but not all) of the shortcomings resulting from putting such a large sensor in such a narrow body. Nobody else would be interested in buying this sensor from Sony.

The $2,800 RX1 can certainly be explained away as an intellectual exercise that may have enjoyed some commercial success. It's the most successful 'Full Frame' 'Point & Shoot' digital camera ever made, but some of that could be attributed to the fact that it's the only 'Full Frame' 'Point & Shoot' digital camera ever made.

But why would Sony develop a whole new line of 'Full Frame' 'Mirrorless' interchangeable lens cameras requiring a whole new line of lenses, none of which contain any technology that Sony could sell to other camera makers. Sony can't sell its own interchangeable lens cameras with any measurable degree of success, and, as a multinational conglomerate, its biggest moneymaker is the image sensors it sells to other camera makers. Yet here we have some interesting new technology that no one else will be interested in incorporating in their own products.

I don't get it.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I really don't get it.
I'm not going to say that I understand it but I really like how Sony is shaking up the dslr world.

Where the other big brands are only toying with 'EVIL' camera's, (Evil because they mess up their line of dslr products). Sony has made a giant leap.

Would I get a sony FF, no but that is because I don't need a FF, and they weigh to much, sorry weighed to much.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:22 PM   #9

TCav... I share your mystification...
Squeezing a full frame sensor into such a small space really is asking an awful lot from a lens close by... and indeed, I suspect APS-C covers most bases for the masses,which presumably is whats required for commercial success...
That said,I quite fancy an RX1- merely as bling of course...

Curiously,the lower res' "7" apparently displays better high iso performance than the "7R"- and focuses faster...!!

Last edited by SIMON40; Oct 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Curiously,the lower res' "7" apparently displays better high iso performance than the "7R"- and focuses faster...!!
The 36MP A7R only has Contrast Detection AF, while the 24MP A7 has Phase Detection AF on the sensor (Hybrid AF).
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote