Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:51 PM   #1

Hi! I'm nearly conviced to purchase an H5. I'm curious as to what owners are using in way of lens protection. I've read posts regarding compact camera bags. I'd be interested in these also. Eventually I'd like to obtain someting that will allow for extra batteries, lenses etc.

As much as I hate paying the full Canadian retail, there's a department store that has these things on for 0% financing over 12 months. The more I read on the H5 the more I want this camera.

I tried to find a downloadable manual for the camera last night but didn't find any such thing on Sony's site. Can someone please tell me the operating temps on this. I live in rural Newfoundland and plan to use the cam while out snowmobiling as well as atving providing I can find the proper means to protect the camera. It is awesome moose country around here and hope to get a few shots if possible.

Jaz709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:50 PM   #2

Manual can be downloaded from http://esupport.sony.com/

Operating temp is 0-40 C , (32-104F) or 5-40C when using alkaline batteries.

I would use a Uv or other clear filter to protect the lens, just buy a good multicoated make from Hoya, Tiffen, B+W etc not the cheap and crap $5 specials on ebay.

Others would say just attach the adapter tube with no filter and that should protect the lens enough.

The reason they dislike a filter is any glass added in front of a lens may increase the chance offlare, or add distortions etc, but as noted above if you buy a good multicoated one then that chance should be minimised.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:25 PM   #3

Good advice, Sintares-

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote