Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:32 PM   #1
Default DSC-V1 Review is biased

:evil: Steve missed the boat on his V1 review. This camera suffers from strong chromatic aberrations which can be easly seen in most shots. (ie. look at the power lines in the sample photo of the brick building)

His review states: "As expected the Carl Zeiss lens is superbly sharp and free from any signs of chromatic aberrations.

The pictures tell otherwise. Am I missing something here or has our favorite reviewer gone soft?

Steve, don't let Sony by on this one......
Truthteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 9:20 PM   #2

To my unsophisticated eyes, the shot of the red brick building shows strong JPEG artifacts around the power line wires (and around palm fronds in the yacht club shot) rather than CA.

Regardless of how one classifies the effect, it is lousy image. Compare this shot to the same (similar) shot taken with the Canon S50 for example--Sony should be ashamed of the V1 performance. I might forgive this sort of aberration with an ultra compact camera like my U20 which is less than one third the price of the V1, and targeted to a different user.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 5:00 AM   #3
Default Should I buy SONY V1?

I'm not very professional user but I'm not beginner too. May I get your advise whether I should buy Olympus C50 or SONY V1? But I don't like the movie without sound, that's the one Olympus C50 can't provide. Or should I wait for Olympus next model?
ak47 is offline   Reply With Quote