Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:01 PM   #1
Default Shutter speed in DSC-V1

Just got the V1 and it shoots real nice images. I am new to the prosumer camera world.

I had a question regarding the shutter speed. Does anyone know why it is that when I increase shutter speed from 1/30s to 1/1000s that the image comes out very dark unless I have the flash on? I want to be able to take shots at a shudder speeds of 1/30 - 1/1000 to capture moving objects but I want to be able to do it without the flash.

Yet when I turn the flash off, the lcd screen turns dark and the image comes out just as dark.

Can anyone help?

Also, at what shutter speed level should I have the camera set to where it would compensate for the average camera user who may move the camera a little bit when taking a picture?

punkyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:07 AM   #2

Hi Punky.
The faster the shutter speed, the less light passes through the lens to create a picture. That's why you get a darker image when you are using fast shutter speeds like 1/1000. This is useful though when you want to take a picture of moving objects to prevent blur. To then get sufficient light through the lens, you have to adjust the aperture, open it more up, so more light passes through in such a short amount of time. This is the f settings (e.g. f 2 - a lot of light passes thorugh, f 22 - very little.

For normal use, e.g. very little movement in the picture, you should use shutter speed of at least 1/125 to prevent camera shake influencing sharpness in the picture. Unless you use a tripod.
hevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 6:22 PM   #3

Try increasing the ISO in Manual mode.
Hugh_Jass is offline   Reply With Quote