Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 11, 2003, 1:11 AM   #1
Default f717

can you do panorama pictures with the f717? and how? thanks Quest
xQuestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2003, 7:07 AM   #2
Default Panoramas

You can do panoramas with any digicam, you just need some software to join up the pictures! I use the otherwise pretty useless Camedia package left over from Olympus ownership.
But the Sony 717 has no guidelines and the like that other cameras, like Olympus, will give you as part of the Panorama function, nor can you freeze the exposure for subsequent shots like on the Oly for example. The rules for panoramas are, keep the camera axis absolutely horizontal, and shoot all of the series using the same manual setting both for exposure and distance. Then you are in with a chance.
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 8:20 PM   #3

The F717 can definitely do good panoramas. Here's one I did a few days ago. It's not the greatest picture, content-wise, but it shows what the camera can do. I used centerweighted metering and sunlight white balance in aperture priority mode for the first shot, and then used manual mode to use the same shutter speed and aperture on the other frames. This was stitched together without use of a dedicated panorama program, so there are a couple points where foreground details don't match up perfectly.

Click the image to see a large version

Even the large version has been significantly resized. I don't have enough spare web space for the full version, which is over 13,000 pixels wide.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote