Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:31 AM   #1

HELP ME OUT, I NEED YOUR INPUT! I just bought the R1, earlier today I had it on a tripod and a baby pushed it and the camera fell with the tripod (lens facing the ground). Luckily the area was carpeted and I had the lens hood on it. My question is: The part of the lens that zooms out has a very very slight play on it (like up and down and to the sides). Is not totally stiff. Does the sony r1 do that? is that normal? I am worried because I never checked previous to that fall for such play. But once it fell I started checking the lens and BAM!!! I noticed the stupid play. PLEASE help me out with some input on your R1's

Thanks in advance,

Juanchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2

Oh, NOOOO! How upsetting for you ...

Not sure if it's true with all R-1's, but my zoom has no play in it at all. I've had it about 2 months now, and never noticed anything like you are describing.

How are the images ... any changes after the fall? Hopefully, it won't affect the quality and remain only a nagging annoyance. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

Cheers! Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 3:50 PM   #3

I think you are lucky one if nothing else is broken down.
Subtle play of telescoping part of lens is normal.
Take a some pictures (do no forget a macro mode) and check whether camera and lens have survived a crash.
Good luck
Simon G
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:17 PM   #4

My R-1 has no play at all.

As suggested take pics. Your hood may have some play.

I cant see where a machined fitting can lose tolerance in such a manner as you describe without affecting the image passing through the lens.

My R1 is like a brick. If your images are ok then you have no problem.

The onlytime and reasonto touch the lens is zooming or focusing. Not seeing if it is 'loose'.

Hope this calms you down, I would be excited too.

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:18 AM   #5

I have had my R1 over a year and it still has no play at all. You were very luck that it fell onto carpet.

Go take some test shots and check out the results. If all seems okay, then you should not worry any more. In the mean time, be VERY careful about leaving expensive equipment around where young ones can get to it. They do not understand it's value and you do not get a second chance.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote