Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 26, 2003, 6:59 AM   #1
Default Buyers beware Uniross "equivalent" batteries.

I recently bought a Uniross battery, part number VB101746 which claimed to be a replacement for the Sony NP-FM50 used in my 717. The price was 35. I believe the genuine Sony item would have been about 55. The package said the battery was 7.2volt and 800mAh.

When fully charged the camera indicated 150 minutes, but my genuine Sony battery always indicates 230 minutes. I checked the Uniross web site at http://www.uniross-batteries.com/... .../Battery/for/digital/camera/050201 and it declares the battery to be 1200mAh, not the 800mAh shown on the packaging. There is clearly some confusion within Uniross.

The genuine Sony item is defined as 7.2V and 8.5 watt hr, which is the equivalent of 1.18 mAh, say 1200 mAh approx. Now the ratio of 150 mins to 230 mins is the same as 800 mAh to 1200 mAh, so the battery I had bought as an equivalent, was not an equivalent as it was clearly only 800mAh.

Now if you are happy with 2/3 capacity for 2/3 of the Sony price, then ok, but I was not. I emailed Uniross and got not response, so I returned my battery to the Currys store where I bought it, and received a full refund without a problem.

I offer this posting as a cautionary tale.
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links