Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 29, 2003, 6:21 AM   #1

I have a Sony DSC-S85. Other than the fact that it is hard to capture any exact picture because of the time delay between pressing the shutter button and recording the picture, the camera is ok.

Recently, I took some pictures that seemed off color and not as sharp as I would expect. They were outside and it was fairly light.
I also took some inside photos with flash and they looked too bright(sort of washed out).

Any comments or suggestions from other Sony users?
nobroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2003, 1:39 PM   #2
Default Action shot technique

I have the s85 as well and found it difficult to adjust to the slow shutter. I was taking a lot of action shots outside and found that it is best to press the shutter button down slightly so the camera can "initialize", then press completely when you want the shot. This allows the autofocus and exposure settings to set so the moment you press the button fully it will fire. I also found it easier to use the viewfinder instead of the LCD, but that was just my preference.
When taking action shots I also prefocus by guessing at the focus distace (usually infinity) and I prefer "Shutter Priority". If you are taking shots in good light you should be able to select a 400+ shutter speed. This will help eliminate any shake or motion in the photos.

Hope this helps.
zbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 6:13 PM   #3
Default DSC-S85

I was an owner of the Sony DSC-S75.....which was replaced by the S85 and I just LOVED this camera. Although it did have its limitations such as the response time needed for fast action pics, it performed quite well. One thing I noticed, is that if you manually focus the camera....it does help to speed up the time it takes for the shutter to do its thing. This did help some and was only slightly better. The other thing that I noticed was that the clearest pictures always seemed to be with the zoom at midway between the "W" and the "T". I ended up purchasing the HVF1000 flash from sony and this made all the difference in the world. It has a tilt head that can be used to bounce the flash off the ceiling which gives a beautiful lighting effect. And as far as digital zoom.....leave it off! It does not work well at all. Some of my best pictures were with the camera in full manual setting of pictures taken in the night. AWESOME CAMERA!

I ended up selling the S75 for the Sony DSCF717....and actually wish I would of kept my S75 instead. Crazy???? well....read my post further down from yours, titled "Brand new blurry Sony"
Hope this info helps.

ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote