Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:55 AM   #1

I really need to find a better program to burn my mpeg files from my W1 camera.

I've been using Sonic MyDVD for the past few years, but it always crashed when burning the original file type (mpeg-2 is it?), so the past few years, I've had to take the extra, very time consuming step of converting my movie files on Windows Movie Maker to wmv files, which while nice that it compresses the files to 1/3 of the original size, it takes way too long (a 3 minute movie takes 3 minutes to convert). I've had zero time to do this the last few months and now have like over 200 movie files to catch up on and would love to find a straight program (preferably freeware) that I can just burn the original mpeg files to a dvd (with decent menu's, etc), so I don't have to spend loads of time converting files any more.

Can you give me some feedback on what programs you all use that you like?

I appreciate it!

jmk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:14 PM   #2

I used a freeware program, MP4camAVI for rapid conversion of Casio MPEG4 to AVI. The older Sanyo threads in this forum gave a lot of information about other freeware convertors such as VirtualDub, but I haven't tried them. My video editing program, Pinnacle, read my H5 clips but lost the sound track, so I used the Ulead software that came with the Casio to convert them to AVI.

I've made quite a lot of holiday movies incorporating stills, movie clips and appropriate background music with Pinnacle. It is not too expensive and has a very intuitive interface, a wide range of transitions, scrolling titles, menus, etc. My old version, V7, does not read MPEG4 directly, but the newer versions claim that they do. You may be able to import the Sony clips directly without conversion? If you have so many movies to make, its probably worth purchasing one of the budget programs like Pinnacle? The downside is the time you can spend to make it watchable, get the sound synchronised and so on!

I also output the edited videosfrom Pinnacle back to a camcorder with DV input as a backup. Alternativeley,if you buy the DivX convertor, the videos you make can be compressed to a fraction of the DVD format and stored on a hard disk.

Hope that this helps.

1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote