Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 14, 2007, 8:31 AM   #1

I have an H5 that I don't use much anymore, Daughter has asked for a recommendation on a video cam. I have shot some decent length (4 gig card) video of horse shows with this and can't think of a good reason not to use it as a video cam----am I missing something?

Only drawback I can think of is its not recording onto tape---but saved on a computer and get another 4 gig card or two I can't think it would be a problem.

acs55812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:57 PM   #2

If you want movies I would say buy a movie camera only. I have both and I have to say the Digital camcorder would be better, But thats just me.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 5:08 PM   #3

I've used the video on my H5 in place of our camcorder on holiday, and the quality was similar to our older Sony Hi8 camcorder. I found a couple of minor disadvantages:

1) Movie clips should use matrix metering and multi-point focusing. If the camera is used for stills on program modes, the wrong settings may be applied to movie mode (no problem if full Auto stills mode is used).

2) Video editing software may not directly accept the video clips - I have to convert them first using another program.

A camcorder would be much better for long recordings.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote