Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:05 PM   #1

I bought the Sony H9 about a month ago after lurking around this site. So far I love it! I still have a lot to learn but it takes great pics.

In about two weeks I'm going to Alaska for my honeymoon and from what I understand there is a 90% possibility we'll have rain. I want to carry and take photos with the H9 and checking sony's site they offer no kind of protection. When I'm not shooting pics the camera will be protected by a case. Anyone have any suggestions on protecting the camera while taking photo's
rlar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:12 AM   #2

I use a clear plastic bag with a hole cut out in front of the lens, and a rubberband around the adapter. Of course I have my UV filter on.

It is a big bag with plenty of room for me to hold and operate my H9.

Also in wet, humid weateher you should keep the H9 in a sealable plastic bag for the times you enter an area of differentambient tempertures. Keep the camea in the bag until it warms up or cools down to the ambient temperature you are entering. This avoids condensation. This is also important to do with a DSLR, which isnot sealed like our H9's.

Hope this helps. Enjoy you trip and please post your images.

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:30 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply and I will post pictures when I return from my trip.

I have searched high and low for the UV filter, is it only available through Sony? I even went to a couple of sony electronics stores and they had one filter, a Polarizing filter for $249.00. That seems a but steep to me. Any suggestions? I can find all kinds of UV filters for about $20.00 but they fall short of the 74mm filter for the H9. I was even told they didn't make filters for this camera yet.

rlar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:00 PM   #4

CB401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:04 PM   #5

I use the same large plastic bag routine that Nick uses. It works quite well. And yes, we work on cruise ships and have done probably 30 Alaska cruises, I can almost guaratee rain on your voyage, most likely in Ketchican.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote