Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 17, 2003, 2:10 PM   #1
Default DSC-P1 Battery Repair caused LCD problems

I sent in my DSC-P1 for the free battery and charger repair, which was performed adequately (at least it appears so).

HOWEVER: upon return, I immediately noticed that the LCD screen would intermittently go from normal to orange/red saturation. It would then return to normal after 1,2, 10 seconds. Saturation is so intense picture is not recognizable and text unreadable, althouth you can tell something is there.

On occasion the screen would fast flicker. This problem had never occurred before and began right out of the box after battery repair.

Sony arranged for the camera to be picked up, expedited and sent right to the desk of a manager in Irvine, CA. Repair was done in 1 day and camera returned to me--by ground, although I was promised air. Fine.

Four days later, DSC-P1 arrives, identical problem. Note although intermittent, this problem is easily reproducable. Just use the control button to navigate the menus and it will go into saturation state pronto.

It took me 10 days of intense calling to get Sony to pick up the DSC-P1 once again. Haven't heard back from them since (that was last Thursday). Camera arrived Fri. AM in Irvine. It took approx 15 phone calls and endless time waiting on hold, reexplaining the same story over and over again but now perhaps it will get resolved -- perhaps not.

On 2nd repair (first was for battery) they stated that a cable was properly reattached, nothing else. Clear to me no one ever held the DSC-P1 in their hands and pushed a few buttons since the problem is so easy to reproduce. And this was after repair was expedited and escalated to a manager.

Anyone else have experiences like this? It's not costing me anything -- except for shipment for battery repair, lots of time and headache, and I've not had a workiing camera since 15 July (now is 16 Aug).

Should I have stuck it out with the battery problem?

dseps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links