Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:21 AM   #1

Hi all H9 users,

I went through the steves forum and many other forums, Read lot of reviews. I am still not able to come to a final conclusion whether to buy this H9 or not. Lot of people cribbed about not having the option to choose the image quality (Fine / Standard) settings as against other old models of Sony (like DSC-h2,h5).

And also many people worried about chromatic abberations leading to purple fringing and many other side effects. Many of the popular trusted reviews like dpreview and other didnt give a very high rating which led to disappointment among many buyers including me.

nickphoto and many others defended that H9 is a great camera, and suggested to use the proper settings and so on. My concern here is, I am buying the camera through one of my colleagues, who is coming to India from US, and the price is in US is really comparable to the price of the camera in India. I have couple of questions to ask which can help me in making a decsion towards H9
1. Is the camera really good camera with all the things talked about in many forums
2. Does luck come into play , as many people were reporting their camera works really bad, and some were very happy with their H9s
3. I am planning to buy the same from one of the online stores (if you have any specific trusted , please suggest)
4. Does any bodsy have idea about the international warranty, as I am buying the camera from US and will be using it in India, If so whats the procedure

If anybody thinks this is not the appropriate forum to discuss all these things, please do suggest a different forum. I will be waiting for all the expert replies from you experts.

nagesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:28 PM   #2

Hi Nagesh I like my H9 all i can offer you is the opportunity to view my photos on the picassa website and you can make up your own mind. Iam at a very early stage in manual photography and i admit in using auto most of the time. As for the warranty side of things i cant really comment since you are not in Europe. By saying this i mean i have purchased a sony camera whilst on holiday for my niece,s 21stbirthday and the warranty covered the whole of Europe.i would imagine it would be ok since the warranty is with sony as a company

foxcub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:56 PM   #3

I'm in the same club i'm trying to decide on the H9 i want to make a step up, i have a Sony W1 love it but want more, i looked at your photos and they look good but to compare to my photos i can't say they look better, were any of those shots used with zoom? and how good is the wide angle on the H9, this is one function i'm really wanting is a good wide angle as i will be doing lots of outdoor shots and lots in a boat. Thanks!
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:48 AM   #4

I'd seriously consider the Panasonic FZ18 (check out the link below for a full review). Everything I've read about this camera so far is very positive and I think it's the best choice if you want a camera with more than 12x optical zoom. If 12x is good, then I'd recommend the H2 (you can still find them on eBay, Crutchfield, etc.).

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:34 PM   #5

Hi nagesh,

I got a H2 recently. I was happyof finding a brand new one after looking very much for it before leaving for a trip to Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul and Cairo.I already hada W5 and a R1but I needed a superzoom and after reading the reviews I wouldnot buy a H7 or H9 or a Lumix. If you check the site Tullio mentioned you will see they are disapointed about the image quality of the camera. For me, image quality is the first topic to decide about a camera.

The 2,000 pictures I shot in 15 days with my H2 confirmed my decision was correct. I observed all the issues you can read about the H2 in the reviews are real but no camera is perfect. A superzoomneed to have a small sensor to be compact and this brings noise in high ISO but it is better than carry a big and heavy DSLR stuff and change lenses and having dirt sensors not talking about cost.

Now I have the three best cameras Sony made, ineach category, regarding image quality. Unfortunately they are dicontinued for accetable reasons, I mean the market required changes.

I am not sure I was of any help telling you that a superb superzoom wasn't made yet and themost accetableone was dicontinued.

Good decision,

Kleber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:59 AM   #6

dpreview has also released their review of the FZ18 and aside the noise issue, which appears to be one of Panasonic trademarks, the camera seems to perform well. The IQ appears to be very good considering the wide range of the lens (28-504mm). I've ordered one and hopefully I;ll get it tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll then be able to test it myself.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote