Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 13, 2003, 1:54 AM   #1
Default 717 Memory Stick Capacity 128 or 256?

Silly question ... Some of the early 717 reviews note that the 128MB memory stick is the maximum the camera can take.

Is this because the 256 Memory Stick Pro was simply not available at the time the reviews were written, or are there other technical issues at play that make anything larger than 128 problematic?

Thanks! Mike
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 6:35 PM   #2

Well, I have a 717 (but I got it about 6 months ago), and it does take the memory stick PRO's. The two formats (MS and MS PRO) Are supposed to have different pinouts, and that was part of the reason the old style maxed out at 128 (yes, I KNOW about MS Select, just deal<g>). I don't think they changed anything, and may have had the MS Pro in mind when they made the 717's before it was ready for prime time.Hope that made sense<g>.
Mhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 8:56 PM   #3

The F717 can go up to the 1 GB memory stick Pro, and if larger sticks come out, I assume it will be able to use those too.

I don't actually have a Pro stick, yet. I'm hoping to get a 512 for Christmas. One of my friends has a 1 GB MS Pro for his F717.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:29 AM   #4

you can as well buy MS 256 from lexar, if you don't want spend your money for buying MS256 PRO. difference in their prices is about 25 usd.
xixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 1:20 PM   #5
Default Memory Sticks for F717

Any of the Lexar, Sandisk or Sony memory sticks work fine. Note the ones with the coupled sticks to make 256 meg. There is a tiny switch for the a and b sides. I use one and have had no problems with it. Good luck!
randy o is offline   Reply With Quote