Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:12 PM   #1
Default Troubleshooting a DSC S700

I've heard this is a common problem and some frustrated (rich) people even threw their cameras out and bought a replacement. I cannot, however, afford to buy a new camera and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

The problem is that the Camera's lens doesn't zoom properly. Sometimes it does. It depends on how the planets align for your zodiac sign and all. Switch the camera off and on a couple of times and the lens may focus properly. Else, keep half-pressing the shutter button a few times - 10-15 times and again if you're lucky, the lens will focus.

I have tried re-initializing the camera, and also tried all modes and basically learned more about the camera trying to troubleshoot it. There isn't much troubleshooting information on the web. If there is someone here with any knowledge on this issue, I'd seriously be grateful. I know I have Sony Service (out of warranty) as an (expensive) option, but I'd like to get around that if possible.
An email to Sony Support was replied with a link to : http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...rnalId=C117497.

Last edited by vsanjay; Dec 10, 2009 at 6:25 PM.
vsanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Improper focusing can also happen when the battery is not fully charged as well. Is that a possibility?

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:18 AM   #3

Well, I did not know that. However, the batteries (two AA) are half charged as shown on the display. These SONY rechargeable batteries, however have been in use since 3 years. Would that be a problem?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:28 AM   #4

If the display is showing half charged, then they're probably virtually dead (most displays will show a fully charged indication until the batteries are almost depleted with a camera using AA batteries).

So, Sarah is right. Your batteries are the most likely issue (I'd expect the behavior you're seeing with weak batteries).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:34 PM   #5

Well, I recharged my batteries overnight. The issues seems to be fixed, as of now. Will let you know if the camera behaves consistently. Thank you so much! I would have given this away AS-IS on ebay had this continued.
Weird that SONY did not suggest this. I guess they like licking money off of their customers